In the wake of President Trump’s cruise-missile strike against Syria for apparent use of sarin nerve agent against civilians on April 7, 2017:
“We were able to find a solution that didn’t necessitate the use of force that actually removed the chemical weapons that were known from Syria, in a way that the use of force would never have accomplished. Our aim in contemplating the use of force following the use of chemical weapons in August of 2013 was not to intervene in the civil war, not to become involved in the combat between Assad and the opposition, but to deal with the threat of chemical weapons by virtue of the diplomacy that we did with Russia and with the Security Council. We were able to get the Syrian government to voluntarily and verifiably give up its chemical weapons stockpile.”
— Susan E. Rice, then-national security adviser, in an interview with NPR’s “Morning Edition,” Jan. 16 2017
In the wake of President Trump’s cruise-missile strike against Syria for apparent use of sarin nerve agent against civilians, many readers have asked The Fact Checker to examine this quote by former national security adviser Susan E. Rice. We had not fact-checked it previously, but it certainly raises questions.
Our colleagues at PolitiFact have already removed from its website a fact check that had rated this 2014 statement by then-Secretary of State John F. Kerry as mostly true: “We got 100 percent of the chemical weapons out.”
Insider BETRAYS Obama & Hillary, Reveals HUGE Lie They Told American People
Barack Obama (left), Tony Blinken (center), Hillary Clinton (right)
It’s no secret that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are habitual liars. If their lips are moving, you can bet that they’re spewing some sort of falsehood. Finally, after years of their shenanigans, a former Obama administration insider has now come forward to reveal a huge lie that the pair told the American people, and this one has had some very real repercussions.
Back in 2013, the United States brokered a deal with Russia and Syria which was designed to get rid of the chemical weapons stockpile that dictator Bashar al-Assad was using against his own people. The Obama administration frequently claimed success for getting all of the chemical weapons out of Syria, something which they apparently knew full well they had not accomplished, yet chose to tell us all anyway.
In a New York Times article published Sunday, former high-ranking Obama administration official Tony Blinken admitted as much, saying, “We always knew we had not gotten everything, that the Syrians had not been fully forthcoming in their declaration.” Fast forward four years and that one lie perpetuated by the Obama administration has set off a chain reaction which some fear could lead to WWIII.
It became woefully apparent that Assad still has chemical weapons last week, when he used sarin gas to kill nearly 100 noncombatants, including infants and children, in the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun. Moved by the heart-wrenching photographs of tiny babies suffering excruciating deaths from the nerve gas which is banned by the UN, President Donald Trump responded by directing two U.S. Navy warships stationed in the Mediterranean Sea to fire 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at the air base from which Assad launched his chemical attack.
Trump’s military assault was a success, earning praise from Syrians everywhere who have been suffering for years but had grown used to Obama’s inaction when it came to Assad’s brutal war crimes. In 2013, after the Syrian dictator had waged another even more devastating chemical attack against his own people, Obama threatened recourse, but his administration ultimately did nothing. Then, he followed that crucial mistake up by lying to us all regarding Assad’s access to more chemical weapons.
Tony Blinken, who served as the former deputy secretary of state and former deputy national security adviser under Obama, apparently grew tired of perpetuating the lie which his colleagues, including Susan Rice and John Kerry, were so used to telling. His admission to the NY Times serves as proof that Obama’s dreadful foreign policy placed us in the precarious position we find ourselves in now.
While some have speculated that the air strike last week could lead to WWIII, it appears that Assad has gotten the intended message and does not plan on retaliating, at least at the moment. Only time will tell if he heeds Donald Trump’s warning and does not cross any more red lines. However, if the time does come for greater conflict, be sure to blame Barack Obama, not Donald Trump, for the mess that follows.