This infamous photograph is of arrivals from Hungary at the main camp’s selection grounds. Those being directed to our right were immediately gassed and incinerated. The large influx required running the camp’s killing facilities at its highest recorded rate, approaching 12,000 per day for about two months. The normal rate was about 8,000 per day.
At the end of the war in 1945 until 1956 the Soviet NKVD used part of the Auschwitz complex as a concentration camp for political prisoners from their newly acquired territories.